Here are a few tips that are meant to be for men (we all know a few women that go shopping for their signifigant others), but that can go either way ...
1. When you find a shirt or pair of pants that fits well, buy two. Especially if the item is on sale. Just find it in a different color, wash, or pattern. Remember, you have to wear clothes 365 days a year.
2. Avoid dad/mom jeans at all costs. You have an ass, so find some jeans that show it. A pair of low-rise, slim-fit jeans will usually do the trick.
3. Try on clothes in the store before you buy them. Make sure the clothes fit you, silly.
4. Gym clothes are for the gym. Period. Period. Period. Bye, LuLu's.
5. Embrace layering. Cardigans, sweaters, and blazers are classic ways that'll take your style up a notch.
6. Mix in some color to make things pop. It's OK to love your blacks and blues and grays, but surprise people every now and then by mixing in some color.
I'm especially guilty of the dressing in different shades of black, like, everyday. I only JUST started buying hues of red and burgundy this past fall. Baby steps, right? So I'll be branching along with this guide along with you. And instead of the LuLu's, I'll be dropping my sweats. That's right, that's what I said.