Joe P. Cardinal Bursary
Joe P Cardinal Bursary/Internship Award
Aboriginal Multi Media Society / CFWE Radio
AMMSA is pleased to offer an annual Bursary/Internship Award to an Indigenous student to further their education in communications and/or media. This Bursary is intended to assist students in the 2nd or subsequent years of a degree/certificate program in a multi-media discipline.
The Bursary is named to honour Joe P. Cardinal, Elder, AMMSA Board Member and
leader who believed communications was key to a greater understanding between
people and cultures.
- Be First Nations, Inuit or Métis, hold permanent Canadian resident status and
reside in Alberta.
- Be enrolled in the 2nd year (or beyond) of a Canadian post-secondary MULTI
MEDIA Program or Equivalent Certified Training Program (as recognized by Alberta Learning) and be able to produce a transcript of grades from the 1st year.
- Be available to participate in a 4-week internship program at AMMSA at the
completion of the school year relevant to their chosen discipline (There is an opportunity for a 4 month paid internship program for the applicant).
- Be interested in acting as an ambassador for the MEDIA industry and serving as
a role model for other Aboriginal people to encourage them to pursue careers in multimedia including journalism, broadcasting or publishing.
- One bursary valued at $ 4,000 will be awarded each year. This award may be applied to academic and/or living costs. An additional $1,000 will be awarded for participation in the Internship program.
- Bursary winners are eligible for continued scholarship awards each year they continue in the approved programs in the amount of $2,500 annually to a maximum of $10,000
Selection Committee: The management team of AMMSA will grade each application on
the criteria outlined. Completed applications form an accompanying information must be received no later than November 30th (late or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. Applications MUST BE MAILED)
Joe P Cardinal Bursary Award - APPLICATION FORM
City: _______________ Province: _____ Postal Code: ___________
Phone#: _________________ Cell Phone: ___________________
Name of institution of certified training program you are currently attending, enrolled in
or have applied to and Diploma/Certificate Name:
Please provide the following in support of your application:
· Proof of First Nations, Inuit or Métis status, Canadian resident status and reside in Alberta
· Completed application form
· Proof of application into second (or subsequent) year of a Canadian Multi Media Program or
Certified Training Program (proof of enrollment MUST be provided prior to receiving award
· Transcript of marks from the 1st year
· 2 letters of reference from two different fields (i.e. work, community, school) which are relevant to
the nature of the bursary. References should be non-relatives (Full contact information is required)
· One-page statement / essay outlining your career goals, why you want to work in the
communication industry, how this scholarship would affect your goals, how you feel you can
affect your community through your career in media and any other information that you feel is
relevant top this application
· Any other relevant documents or materials, such as published articles, audio/visual projects etc., that you feel will strengthen your application
I declare that the information supplied in this application is true (All information will be kept
confidential and used only for the purpose of selecting the bursary winner)
I agree to allow AMMSA/CFWE Radio to use my photo and name for promotional purposes and
will be available for an interview.
Deadline for submissions: November 30th
Please submit to Selection Committee
Joe P Cardinal Bursary
c/o CFWE Radio / AMMSA
13245 – 146 Street
Edmonton, AB T5L 4S8