June 15, 2021
- Over the last 24 hours, 127 new cases were identified.
- There are 271 people in hospital due to COVID-19, including 68 in intensive care.
- There are 2,804 active cases in the province.
- To date, 225,627 Albertans have recovered from COVID-19.
- In the last 24 hours, there were four additional COVID-related deaths reported: three on June 13, and one on June 14.
- The testing positivity rate was 2.9 per cent.
- There were 4,476 tests (4,611,956 total) completed in the last 24 hours and a total of 2,164,057 people tested overall.
- All zones across the province have cases:
- Calgary Zone: 1,175 active cases and 91,924 recovered
- South Zone: 105 active cases and 12,217 recovered
- Edmonton Zone: 660 active cases and 75,772 recovered
- North Zone: 532 active cases and 25,562 recovered
- Central Zone: 332 active cases and 20,139 recovered
- No active cases and 13 recovered cases in zones to be confirmed
- Additional information, including case totals, is online.
- Alberta has identified 85 additional cases of variants of concern, bringing the provincial total to 48,125.
- Currently, 220 schools, about nine per cent, are on alert or have outbreaks, with 1,667 cases in total.
- 111 schools are on alert, with 265 total cases.
- Outbreaks are declared in 105 schools, with a total of 1,402 cases.
- In-school transmission has likely occurred in 895 schools since Jan. 11. Of these, 276 have had only one new case occur as a result.
- There are currently 10 active and 9,722 recovered cases at long-term care facilities and supportive/home living sites.
- To date, 1,258 of the 2,274 reported deaths (55 per cent) have been in long-term care facilities or supportive/home living sites.
Open for Summer Lottery
- Alberta’s government will hold three draws for $1 million each through the Open for Summer Lottery to incentivize Albertans to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Albertans are encouraged to book their COVID-19 vaccine appointment if they have not received their first dose, as soon as possible.
- Any Alberta resident 18 and older who has received a first dose of vaccine can register to enter for the first $1-million lottery prize. Eligibility for the first $1-million prize will close seven days after 70 per cent of Albertans 12 years and over have received a first dose of vaccine.
COVID-19 vaccination program
- As of June 14, 3,408,407 doses have been administered in Alberta.
- 69.4 per cent of eligible Albertans aged 12-plus have now received at least one dose and 22 per cent are fully vaccinated with two doses.
- Legislation allows Albertans up to three hours of paid, job-protected leave to get a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Albertans are able to track vaccination rates in their local geographic area.
Open for Summer Plan
- Stage 2 of Alberta’s Open for Summer Plan is in effect. Albertans can meet in groups of up to 20, enjoy indoor or outdoor dining at tables of up to six people and resume indoor fitness activities.
- Stage 3 will begin two weeks after the threshold of 70 per cent of Albertans are vaccinated with at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
Second-dose appointments open for booking
- Appointments for second doses of COVID-19 vaccine are available for those who received their first dose in April or earlier.
- Albertans who received a first dose of AstraZeneca can choose AstraZeneca or an mRNA for their second dose.
Masking exceptions for health conditions
- The rules around exemptions from wearing a mask due to a medical condition have changed. Individuals are now required to obtain a medical exception letter verifying their health condition from an authorized health-care provider.
- The medical exception letter must come from a nurse practitioner, physician or psychologist. It may be presented when in a public setting, if requested by enforcement officials or retrospectively in court if a ticket is issued.